Sunday, November 22, 2009

Busy Ole Me!

It’s been a busy week for me. First I visited my foster mom’s dogs at her house and then back to Camp Bow Wow where I spend most of my days and nights. It’s a really fun doggie day care and as you can imagine, since I’m so handsome, cute and charming, I have all kinds of friends. It’s like a party every day. They do work with me on training, but everything we do there is fun so I don’t feel like I’m working at all.

I went for a sleep over with another volunteer, Sandy. She wanted to borrow me to take on a home visit since I’m what she thinks is a typical young GSP and the family we were meeting is new to the breed and they have young kids. She thought if I came for the visit, they might see that while I am tons of fun, I am also a lot of work. It worked – they think a middle aged GSP is a better fit for their family and we agree.

I had a fun sleep over though and it was nice to be out on the town for the night. I met Sandy’s dogs. They are older, but they still liked me. Sandy didn’t even know that I liked to play with the “CUZ” toys and she had one too in her yard. She couldn’t believe how high I could jump when she bounced it in the air. I take a flying leap and can catch it way above my head. She was impressed – I’m not surprised! That’s my style.

She brought me inside to see how I did in her house. I didn’t have one accident. Even though I’m a big guy, she treated me like a puppy and took me outside very often... I mean VERY often, just as I was getting comfortable, she’d wisk me out the door again. I found the toy bin and there were so many it was hard to choose. I liked the kongs and also the stuffed toys. They are fun to squeak and throw around.

I do like to jump. I have these huge paws and I use them to try out everything – counters, cabinets, refrigerators, people – anything. They were using “OFF” and kept me on a leash so they could be sure I listened and I started to get it. I am one smart fella after all.

Sandy even took me to visit her sister and nephew. I liked them both a lot and they couldn’t believe how handsome I am. They loved my ears because they are so big and my big feet. I was very well behaved and didn’t jump or have any accidents.

In the morning Sandy woke me VERY early. We were up at 5am and we walked for what seemed like forever. Even though it was dark and raining, I wasn’t frightened at all and I knew I wouldn’t melt, so I just went with it and didn’t complain. I heard water in the storm drains, saw leaves falling all around me, walked through puddles and past loud trucks and even rounded the corner to find a stranger walking towards us. I took everything in stride and mostly wondered how he could pass me by without a pat on my head. I guess he was in a hurry.

While I’m really good in a crate when riding in a car and just curl up and sleep – even for long periods. It’s not the same in the house. At Sandy’s sometimes I’d sleep and other times, I’d complain. It’s hard to be alone. Sandy would stay with me until I’d settle down and then I’d do ok. Also I never like to go into a crate so I have to be picked up and put in. I don’t mind, but I’m big and have those BIG paws everyone keeps mentioning so it can be hard for the people – that’s my plan.

I’m back at Camp Bow Wow with my friends. They are going to focus on my crate training so that I’ll have that under my belt when I get adopted. I’m having so much fun, but from what I hear, it will be even better when my FOREVER home comes along. I can hardly wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment